Getting a therapeutic massage is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Here are a few tips to help you get the most benefit from each session:
- Arrive around 10 minutes early. You may be asked to fill out an intake form and answer some questions. Or you may need to use the restroom before your session. If you are right on time or a little bit late, these tasks may take a bite out of your massage time, especially if the therapist has a client coming after you.
- Don’t wear a lot of jewelry. If you need to take off earrings, bracelets, necklaces, etc., before you get on the table, that may also take away from your massage time.
- Don’t eat a big meal just before your massage. If your stomach is full of food, you may feel uncomfortable lying on the table for an hour, and it may negatively affect your digestion. If you are hungry, have a light snack before the massage and eat a meal afterwards.
- Communicate with your therapist. If you are uncomfortable in any way, let him or her know so that he or she can make your massage work for you.
- Breathe deeply during your session. It will help you to become calmer and will assist your therapist in relaxing your tense, aching muscles.
- Try not to think about anything. Let your mind relax too, so that your body is able to be stretched and moved as the therapist methodically works on each tense area.
- Drink plenty of water afterwards. Your muscles and cells will be experiencing increased circulation and they will need to remove metabolic waste products. Water will help them do this quicker and you will feel much better in the hours and days that follow.
- Come back again soon. Regular massages can do wonders for your physical and mental health. Try to get one every week if possible.